Always keep your knife clean. Wipe away debris and, if needed, wash with a mild detergent. If your knife has a high-carbon content, the blade may corrode if not properly cared for. To protect your knife, simply wipe a light coating of oil on the blade, pivot points, and lock before storing. Off-Grid highly recommends Sentry Solutions Tuf products.
If your knife does develop rust spots, you can remove them by using a light abrasive, such as Flitz metal polish or Bon Ami cleanser made into a paste with a little water. Use an absorbent soft cloth to apply the cleanser. If the rust is more than just surface, try Loctite naval jelly or WD-40.
DLC & Titanium Nitride Coating are on the blades of many Off-Grid Knives designs that add corrosion resistance, increased durability, and makes the blades non-reflective. Although Off-Grid's coatings are designed to stand up to continual knife use, in time, all coatings will show some wear. Scratches and other signs of wear should be expected and considered normal.
After applying a light coating of oil to blade and pivot, store folding knives closed and fixed blades in their sheaths or blade guards.
We do not offer sharpening services. Check out Work Sharp knife sharpening products. Work Sharp also has an excellent YouTube Channel for tips and instructions on how to sharpen your blades. If you don't want to sharpen yourself, there are sharpening services through the mail such as Knife Aid. (Off-Grid is not affiliated with Knife Aid or Work Sharp, just suggestions, not a recommendations.)
We recommend Wiha tools for your knives. Off-Grid Knives products require a Torx bit #6, #8, #10, and #15 to fit into the head of the different screws.
**Please be sure to use a Torx bit and not an Allen bit, this is a common error. The slight difference in shape will strip the heads of the screws.
If screws on your knife are coming loose frequently or you think the holes may be stripped, try using some Blue Loctite 242 and let the Loctite set up for 24 hours before using your knife. Please feel free to contact Off-Grid Knives if you have any questions.
**Please note that if you fully disassemble or if you modify your knife, you will void the Off-Grid Knives Lifetime Warranty.
OFF-GRID KNIVES COMMITMENT TO SAFETY AND SAFE KNIFE USE
We hope that you, as our consumer, will honor your role as a conscientious knife owner, and only use your Off-Grid Knives knife product in a safe and responsible manner, working with it only as it was designed and intended to be used.
Any time you use a knife, always keep safety in mind, and please follow these basic knife safety rules...
- Know exactly how your Off-Grid Knives knife works prior to use, and practice safely opening and closing the knife before applying it (as well as before replacing it in its sheath)
- Always keep your Off-Grid Knives knife sharp: a properly sharpened knife functions better than a dull knife, in addition to being safer to use
- Always keep the blade edge and point of your Off-Grid Knives knife pointed in a safe direction, ensuring that there is no one in close proximity to the location where you plan to apply it
- Always cut away from your body, or from the body of any other person around which the knife is being applied
- Always keep your Off-Grid Knives folding knife closed and your fixed blade knife/machete sheathed when not in use
- Never use excess force to replace your Off-Grid Knives knife within its sheath. If there is resistance during the replacement process and excess force is used, you may risk serious personal injury. Often, forcing the blade back into the sheath is a result of incorrect replacement. Check the position of the blade at the mouth of the sheath and use care to ease the blade into the sheath’s body
- Remember: Only use your knife to cut. Never use it to hammer, pry, ice-pick, etc
- Never throw your Off-Grid knife. Contrary to what films and TV depict, knives are not designed to be thrown, and you risk damage to the knife, in addition to serious potential injury to yourself or another person
- If, for any reason, the blade of your folding knife does not lock in the open position, do not attempt to use the knife. Please contact Off-Grid Knives Consumer Services immediately at email@example.com
- Never place pressure on the blade of a folding knife in a direction that might cause it to close on your fingers
- Never attempt to take apart your Off-Grid Knives knife. Doing so may make the knife unsafe, and will void the Lifetime Warranty. If your knife requires repair, contact Off-Grid Knives Consumer Services
- Take the time to thoroughly explain knives and knife safety to any children in your household. Teach them that knives are tools, not toys. Their education as responsible knife users and/or future knife owners begins with their being made fully aware as to how to safely handle and care for a knife
You can find additional information regarding knife safety from the American Knife & Tool Institute.